To be eligible, a police officer must be a sworn full-time officer with two years uniformed street experience in their current department OR a sworn full-time officer with a total of two years uniformed street experience, who has successfully completed the current departments imposed probationary period. The Officer must have no sustained disciplinary actions within the past three years or be involved in a current departmental investigation. Part-time Officers may be eligible, pending a waiver/approval from the DARE Training Advisory Board.
The registration fee is $1,000 for Ohio applicants and $1,500 for out of state applicants. Overnight Room accommodations should be made and paid for by the law enforcement agency directly with the Crowne Plaza Dublin. Please mention the DARE Officer Training session dates and special rate of $99 per night plus tax. Bring your tax exempt paperwork if you are exempt. Lunch is provided for the duration of the 80-hour training. Students will need dinner per diems for seven of the nine dinner meals.
The seven application requirements are the submission of the:
- D.A.R.E. Officer Training Application including D.A.R.E. Officer Requirement Checklist
- D.A.R.E. Officer Information Questionnaire
- Local Panel Interview Report with signatures (for Ohio only applicants)
- IntraState Agreement if out of state
- School District & Law Enforcement Agency Participation Agreement
- Letter of Endorsement from Chief/Sheriff
- OPOTA/State Law Enforcement Training Certificate
The prospective D.A.R.E. Officer must successfully complete the 80-hour training to be eligible to teach the D.A.R.E. Program. The D.O.T. Training will include the following:
- DARE K-4
- Elementary Core
- Middle School
- RX/OTC, Community and other D.A.R.E. America Enhancement Lessons